Re: Multiprogram teaser

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 18:46 -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:
> Here's a little teaser showing the results of me flogging GDB's source
> code. In addition to the fun aspect of listing the main()s of two
> different programs, it points up the the potential confusion of having
> several programs in a session. What I've got so far in my prototype is
> the ability to collect multiple execs from the command line, the
> creation of "exec" objects from which you can select one as "current",
> and some symbol table hacking to restrict lookups to the current executable.

Hi Stan,

This looks good, but points up the limitations of line based debugging
once you have to handle multiple processors. Realistically this sort of
approach is going to need some sort of windowing environment to separate
out the information. Do you have a view of how this might look inside
gdbtui or ddd or Eclipse? It might be worth thinking about how GDB would
look debugging a modern mobile phone, with perhaps 5 processors, each
from a different manufacturer.

Best wishes,

Jeremy

--