Re: Automatic dependency tracking

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:22:27AM +0100, Andrew STUBBS wrote:
> OK, I understand now. Presumably it would still be possible to retain
> non-GNU make compatibility for build-only purposes by also providing a
> regular dependency - basically just removing the bar from the above - and
> then preprocessing the Makefile, like AM_CONDITIONAL?

Sure - e.g. AC_SUBST(ORDER, ${bar_if_gnu_make}).

> I don't know if it's worth it though. Like Daniel said, GNU make isn't
> hard to build, and other projects already require it.

Actually, Stan and Joel said it :-)

Mark, do you have any comments about requiring GNU make for correct
dependencies?  I may be misremembering, but I believe you were
concerned about GNU make dependency the last time this came up.
Even if not, you work on more host platforms than any other GDB
maintainer.

Is supporting clean builds (actually, also modifying a source file and
rebuilding - everything but modifying a header file) without GNU make
sufficient?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery