Re: gdb / dbx / pstack question - getting function argument addresses from stack

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 14:56 -0400, Pavel Chernikov wrote:
> Right, understood - thanks for pointing that out to me. I should have
> mentioned that the original platform was SPARC Solaris and the new
> platform is I386 Linux.
>
> With that said, am I absolutely-totally-100% out of luck with being
> able to find function argument addresses? Or is there some way of
> doing this?

The key constraint is "without debug info".

Under that constraint you are pretty much out of luck.

> Ideally, I'd like to write the following solution in C:
> * List all function calls with corresponding function argument list
> for each function

That's exactly what debug info is for.
With modern compiler abis and complex architectures
like Intel, it's nominally-close-to-impossible
to do that without debug info.