Re: Automatic dependency tracking

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
Option two: we could require GNU make.  GCC has done this for years,
but binutils does not; it may be premature.

Option three: we could manually list dependencies on generated files,
and support dependencies on source files only on systems with GNU
make.  This effectively means GNU make is a requirement if you are
hacking on GDB, but not to build GDB from a clean tree.

As I understand it, dependencies on generated files must always be hard coded - otherwise the autogeneration build would fail (potentially, with parallel make being worse), so these two options are the same.

There is no need to require GNU make for build purposes. It would only be required for dependency tracking. The configure script can be made to disable dependency tracking on incompatible make variants.

BTW, which are the GNU make specific features in question?

Andrew