Re: Frame lost after 'leave' and before 'ret' instruction on i386?

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 10:51 -0400, Aleksandar Ristovski wrote:

> So from what I can see, they all rely on symbol info (find_pc_partial_function).
>
> Apparently I am missing something: if I were to write an "in_function_epilogue_p"
> for i386, why would I need the debug info? As a minimum, I want to
> check if we are at one of 'ret' instructions - no debug info needed.

We've never given the same level of attention to epilogues as we
have for prologues.  I'm not aware of anyone ever having added an
epilogue disassembler a la 'scan_prologue'.

If you wanted to do that -- typically for scan_prologue, we check
to see if we have enough symbol info first, and only resort to
instruction parsing if we have to.