RE: Problem in using gdb 6.8 to step code in flash

I am using configure --target=mipsel-linux --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu for
configuring gdb

I am trying to build a gdb that can both debug linux kernel and some code in
flash. Is it possible?

When I checked the gdb configure script, I can see below differences in MIPS
sde and mips Linux configurations

  mips*-sde-elf*)
    skipdirs="$skipdirs target-libiberty"
    noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs ${libgcj}"
    if test x$with_newlib = xyes; then
      noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs gprof"
    fi
    libgloss_dir=mips
    ;;

mips*-*-linux*)
    noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs target-newlib target-libgloss"
    ;;

How do these configurations affect the stepping logic?