Re: [NEWBIE] Symbol location by filename problem

 > I'm not even sure if this is the right mailing list to post user
 > questions, please tell me if it is the case.

For questions about using Gdb in Emacs it's probably best to post to

1) help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for released versions of Emacs
2) emacs-devel@gnu.org for unreleased versions of Emacs
  (CVS repository at Savannah)

 > I'm using here the emacs GUD interface. I noticed that when gdb looks for
 > a symbol, if there is in dir more than one file with the same filename
 > it happens it shows the wrong one, that is the first in the dir with
 > that filename. My workaround is to change the current dir of
 > GDB to that of the correct file when *I* know the symbol is.

How do you ask Gdb to look for a symbol?

 > I think this depends on the fact that the symbol table only contains
 > the stripped name of the filename of each symbol, rather than
 > containing the complete path.

It sounds like you are asking Gdb to look for a file - but I'm not sure.
In any case, Gdb has the full filenames.

 > I would like to know if this is a GDB rather than a GUD specific
 > problem, and if it can be eventually fixed (maybe compiling with some
 > specific flag, I'm using gcc here) or if I have to stay with it.

It's probably an Emacs problem but you don't say what version you are using,
or what platform.

In Emacs, please do M-x report-emacs-bug (also on the menu-bar (Help->Send Bug
Report...)  then it will start a mail message with the right e-mail address and
include your configuration.  If you then describe the problem again (for
subscribers of that list) and include your version of Gdb, we can look for an
answer.