Re: is --with-libexpat-prefix broken?

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 03:49:11PM -0800, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> With the latest sources, I don't see the -I switch anymore, and
> I don't see the path to the archive either. All I see is that configure
> tries to build using -lexpat without specifying where the includes
> or the library might be found:
>
> > configure:7028: checking for libexpat
> > configure:7052: gcc -o conftest -g   conftest.c -lncurses -lsocket -lnsl -lm  -lexpat >&5
> > ld: fatal: library -lexpat: not found
> > ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> I'm looking into it, but it's really puzzling. It looks like this
> part is taken care of by config/lib-link.m4:AC_LIB_HAVE_LINKFLAGS.
> And yet, I don't see a change since 6.7.1 that could likely be
> responsible for this change of behavior.

This is a horribly overcomplicated macro, originally from (IIRC)
gettext.  I used it because it was there and worked, but when it goes
wrong I'm at a loss.  I recommend running the configure script with
sh -x to see what it's doing.

The only thing I noticed in the above was that there was no -I option,
but the test file obviously compiled.  Could you have switched
compilers and/or added an expat installation in /usr/local/include
and /usr/local/lib?  GCC is ornery about searching /usr/local/include
but not /usr/local/lib in some configurations.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery