Re: elf core file format for powerpc

On Feb 5, 2008 5:42 AM, rahul dev <rahul_dev_agg@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Can you please provide some information on the note section and how to
> add register values in the note section. I searched a lot on the net
> but failed to get any useful information.

One source of confusion is that the code in GDB that operates on BFD
sections is actually accessing ELF notes, in a PT_NOTE program header.
 When BFD opens a core file and sees a PT_NOTE program header, it
turns each note into a "section" with a known name.  See
bfd/elfcore.h:elf_core_file_p, and uses of
_bfd_elfcore_make_pseudosection.

So if you want to produce .reg "sections" that GDB can see, you need
to produce PT_NOTE program headers in your core that BFD will
recognize.