Re: -var-update using formatted value

Daniel Jacobowitz writes:
 > On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 12:48:40PM +1300, Nick Roberts wrote:
 > > Both changes, i.e., printcmd.c and c-exp.y?
 >
 > Right.
 >
 > > Presumably if the change to c-exp.y is committed, there should be similar
 > > changes to ada-exp.y, f-exp.y etc.  Does it not matter that this prefix
 > > is not part of the underlying language?
 >
 > Right.  As long as it doesn't conflict with the underlying language,
 > no, it doesn't matter - GDB tries to accept the whole source language,
 > but also accepts other things.

I wouldn't know if it did conflict, but unless I hear otherwise I'll
assume it doesn't. In addition to c-exp.y, I'll amend:

ada-exp.y
f-exp.y
jv-exp.y
m2-exp.y
objc-exp.y
p-exp.y

and write some tests.  However, I can't run the testsuite for all these as I
don't have the compilers on my system.

The manual describes how integer constants should be typed for the various
languages under the Languages node but not how they are printed with the
various output formats under Examining.  I guess they should be changed in
both places.

Since the printcmd.c patch only has to be done in one place, I'll start with
that.

 > > Also, I think only the change to printcmd.c is necessary to solve Marcs bug
 > > report about -var-update.
 >
 > I think that report is covered by two of the other patches I reviewed
 > today.

I don't think so.  The other patches cover the wrong format not detecting
a change in value, e.g. 1 -> 1.5 as decimal.

This change covers a change in format masking a change in value.  Marc's
example was 11 -> 3 = 11 (binary).