Re: Stepping off breakpoints in non-stop debugging mode

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false.org> writes:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 03:05:01PM -0800, Jim Blandy wrote:
>> If signal handler trampolines can use sysenter / syscall, then we'll
>> need to recognize those, too.  (Can they?)
>
> Yes, I think so.  It depends on the kernel version and the vDSO
> variant it selected.  Maybe not, though - there was some trouble about
> getting the right registers saved.

>> > Does this manual adjustment of TF apply to GDB?  The kernel is
>> > supposed to handle TF entirely inside ptrace, and expose the original
>> > %eflags to GDB (though various kernel versions have gotten this wrong,
>> > I believe it is right at last).  So if TF is set here, that means the
>> > program being debugged had TF set already.
>>
>> It does apply to GDB!  You can write a statement that does "pushfl;
>> popl %0" and behaves differently depending on whether you continue
>> over it or step over it.
>
> You're not supposed to be able to do that.  The kernel goes to great
> trouble to make sure that you can PTRACE_SINGLESTEP through such a
> sequence and have the same thing happen that would if no debugger
> was attached.  My rule of thumb is that every time you have to
> explicitly modify TF, you're clobbering the program's state.  Am
> I wrong?

You're right in your original assertion, that that code isn't
necessary where I had it.  I've taken it out.

As far as PTRACE_SINGLESTEP is concerned, isn't pushfl the only
user instruction that can observe the state of TF anyway?

Here's the test program I was using.  What am I seeing here?

  $ uname -a
  Linux pip 2.6.22.9-61.fc6 #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 18:48:03 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
  $ cat pushfl.c
  #include <stdio.h>

  int
  main (int argc, char **argv)
  {
    unsigned int flags;

    asm ("pushfl; popl %0" : "=r" (flags));

    printf ("0x%08x\n", flags);

    return 0;
  }
  $ ~/gdb/pub/nat/gdb/gdb pushfl
  GNU gdb 6.7.50.20071206-cvs
  and "show warranty" for details.
  This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
  (gdb) start
  Breakpoint 1 at 0x8048390: file pushfl.c, line 5.
  Starting program: /home/jimb/gdb/ool/play/pushfl
  main () at pushfl.c:5
  5       {
  (gdb) step
  main () at pushfl.c:8
  8         asm ("pushfl; popl %0" : "=r" (flags));
  (gdb)
  5       {
  (gdb)
  10        printf ("0x%08x\n", flags);
  (gdb) c
  Continuing.
  0x00000386

  Program exited normally.
  (gdb) start
  Breakpoint 2 at 0x8048390: file pushfl.c, line 5.
  Starting program: /home/jimb/gdb/ool/play/pushfl
  main () at pushfl.c:5
  5       {
  (gdb) c
  Continuing.