Re: GDB cannot access memory after Emacs abort

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 10:38:14PM -0800, Michael Snyder wrote:
> > > At this point my desktop (I tried in KDE, GNOME and twm, same behavior
> > > in all) is totally locked up, but I can switch to a virtual tty and
> > > there kill emacs with SIGKILL (kill -9); SIGTERM (kill -15) does not do
> > > the job.
>
> Making sure that I understand -- you ran emacs under gdb,
> you set a breakpoint at abort, you hit the breakpoint --
> and your desktop is locked up?
>
> That seems unusual -- do you have any idea of the cause?

This is pretty common when debugging X programs, IIRC.  I believe
there's some ways in which an application can "own" a display while
something is in progress.

That's just from observation, I don't know much about X programming.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery