Re: Compiling on AIX 5.3 with xlC

> bartosch@duco:/fs/data/bartosch/work/12.1aktuell>gdb
> GNU gdb 6.7
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0".
> (gdb) attach 98248
> Attaching to process 98248
> 0x00000000 in ?? ()

Hmmm, that reminds me of a limitation in AIX. I just found this:

  /* According to ptrace(2), ptrace may fail with EPERM if "the
     Identifier parameter corresponds to a kernel thread which is
     stopped in kernel mode and whose computational state cannot be
     read or written."  This happens quite often with register reads.  */

But I've only observed this when switching to a different thread.
Perhaps it's what is happening to you too.

What happens if you run GDB with

        (gdb) set debug aix-thread

before you attach?

--