MPI debugging support in GDB?

Hi!

What is the current status for debugging MPI applications with GDB? If
this is already possible/doable is there some documentation available?
If this not possible are there any plans to implement this?

We use a small cluster to run MPI applications and otherwise the system
consists only of free (beer/speech) software but to me it seems that
proprietary and pricy debuggers are needed to debug MPI application
(like TotalView or PGI CDK). There are several open software MPI
libraries available (like OpenMPI and MVAPICH) but of course a debugger
is needed every now and then.

Thanks!

that gives answers, not web links.