Re: Questions about gdb/mi support on the Mac

On Friday 24 August 2007 20:43:15 Bob Rossi wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 02:02:08PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 10:50:41AM -0700, Gordon Prieur wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >    What are the known differences between running gdb/mi on a Mac and
> > > on Windows/Linux/Solaris? I'm debugging problems in netbeans C/C++
> > > support (via gdb) on the Mac and am seeing significant differences between
> > > the Mac and other platforms.
> >
> > If you are using GDB an Mac OS X, it is Apple's highly customized
> > version to work with Xcode.  You'd really have to ask them about it -
> > it's got common ancestry with other versions of GDB, but has changed
> > quite a lot to work better with their IDE.
>
> That's disappointing. Does that mean that a front end written to work on
> all other platforms with fsf gdb wouldn't work on Mac OS X?

It doesn't necessarily mean that.

Mac Gdb/Mi behaves still in most cases like FSF Gdb/Mi, there are only a handful
exceptions that usually need only some minor tweaks like adding a second code
path in the interpretation of the result.

A bit more annoying is the different set of output data on different platforms
as this means some shortcuts when retrieving  "a full set of data" that can
be taken on one platform does not necessarily work on the other, leading
to either using the lowest common denominator or having even larger separate
code paths.

Andre'