Re: C++ Typedefs and symbol tables

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 06:10:42PM +0100, Andrew STUBBS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have encountered a problem setting breakpoints on overloaded C++ functions:
> when I specify the function signature, I have to use the canonical type name,
> not the typedef name used in the source I am looking at. (I am aware it prompts
> where no signature is given, but that possibility is not available to scripts,
> for example).

Check whether you are ending up with a search based on the function's
symbol or minsym.  The mangled name always uses the canonical type
name (for obvious ABI reasons).

> The dwarf debug information, on the other hand, shows the function with the
> typedef name used in the source code. It also contains the proper mapping from
> typedef name to actual class name.
>
> Would it not be possible to use the debug information, where available, to
> canonicalize the type names before attempting to match the function signatures,
> at least for the purposes of setting breakpoints?

Yes, but it's a lot of work.  We can not currently canonicalize
anything during lookup because we do not canonicalize during symbol
reading; and just turning that on slows things down considerably.  The
cp-names.y parser was intended for exactly this.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery