Re: DELAYED: GDB 6.7 branch creation scheduled June 25th

Nick Roberts wrote:
> > These facts suggest to me that it's best to delay the branch, possibly by a
> > month or two, not backdate it.
> > As far as I am concerned, the fact that we use backdating is unrelated
> to where we decide the branchpoint to be. I like backdating, because
> it allows me to put the head in maintenance mode for a couple of days
> while I work on the branch.

You've lost me. I thought the branchpoint is where the branch was cut.
It is, but the branchpoint can just as easily be a past revision as the current head. There's a lot to be said for branching from the best-working version of the past week for instance, rather than from whatever randomness is currently at the head of the trunk.

Stan