Re: Watchpoints in an ARM platform

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 12:18:32PM +0200, Ulisses Furquim wrote:
> It says the target doesn't support that type of hardware watchpoint
> when I've tried rwatch and awatch, but it works when I use the watch
> command (maybe using some software watchpoint). After that I can

Correct.  ARM Linux has no support for hardware watchpoints; I don't
think any ARM platform has watchpoints that can be used in user space
like i386 / ppc do.  It might be possible to expose the same
watchpoint controller that JTAG would use though.

> continue and it correctly stops the program the first time, but when I
> continue again something goes wrong and gdb gets confused. Do you have
> any idea why this happens? Am I missing anything here?

A software watchpoint is implemented by repeatedly single stepping.
You've stepped into something that confused GDB, probably the start of
a PLT stub for a function from a dynamic library.  I thought recent
ARM GDB would recognize those stubs fine, but I guess something has
gone wrong.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery