Multi process debugging using gdb - references?

I'm curious about the status of using gdb to debug multiple processes.

I've read most of the past messages I could find by doing a search on
"multiprocess" and "multi process" so I know about the recent work to
support multiple processes that share the same executable file, such
as following forked processes.

What I'm more interested in is being able to control and debug
multiple processes that don't share the same executable, may not even
be running on the same machine, and may not be running on machines of
the same architecture.

My gut feeling says that using some front end to control multiple
instances of gdb is probably a better solution than trying to enhance
gdb to handle this using a single gdb process.

Also, any pointers/references to published papers on multi process
debugging, other debuggers that implement multi process debugging
(such as Totalview), works in progress, etc, would be appreciated.

-Fred