Re: Behaviour of invalid varobjs

 > > Are there any real situations where you would want to create a variable
 > > object of a constant?  If not, then, apart from ensuring that such objects
 > > don't crash GDB, I don't think this is an urgent issue.
 >
 > That's testcase example. Replace **0 with "**some_pointer" and you have a
 > real use-case.

OK, I didn't realise that.  Constants and variables are treated differently:
try "-var-create - * *0" and "-var-create - * *some_pointer" when
some_pointer = 0x0.

Going back to your original e-mail:

    Before I go changing code, do everybody agree that:

    1. The output of -var-create should either have no "value"
    field at all, or value="", as is used in some other context.

I prefer value="" as it would be consistent with the status quo.

    2. The output of -var-update should not include anything.

I agree.

    Also, we probably should include in_scope="false" in output of
    -var-create, but I'm not quite sure.

I don't see why.