Re: [RFC] Signed/unsigned character arrays are not strings

Nick Roberts wrote:

That answers the question that we are really asking and justifies the patch.

Not necessarily. First it is only a claim, without documentation, second, any incompatible change seems basically problematic. I prefer to avoid this incompatible change, it seems like it would be a surprise to a substantial number of users. For sure the use of unsigned char for character data is pretty common.

> We can document how to produce string output more > clearly in the manual, perhaps?

I would instead document more clearly how to produce the integer output.