Selft tracing utility

Hi,

I'm currently extending the debug support for my programs and trying to find something that will dump the current call-stack.

GDB can do this, the problem is can a running process dump itself?

My idea is something like:
getpid()
dump the call-stack by running gdb ataching it to the process by pid
abort()

Is there a posibility to run gdb thru some API?

Thx for any ideas
Bc. Simon Toth