Re: GDB Stub & GPL question

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 07:02:04AM -0800, veenu khanna wrote:
> Hello
> I have a question regarding implementing a remote stub. Say we have to implement/extend a stub for x86 architecture with our own OS.
> IN section for "Implementing a remote stub (Section 17.5.3)" in "Debugging with GDB" document there is a point
> "Make sure you have a serial connection between your target machine and the gdb host,
> and identify the serial port on the host."
>
> Does this mean that GDB on host and GDB agent/stub on the target can only talk on a serial port ?
>
> And in point 7 it says "Start gdb on the host, and connect to the target" in which TCP connection is allowed as well.
>
> Can someone help me in getting things right ?
> I know that it is possible to have a TCP communication between gdb and gdbserver.
> Is there a support for the same for stubs ?

Yes, it's exactly the same - I'm sorry the manual is unclear.

> Another question is regarding GPL...
> some part of stub code will be residing in our kernel which is proprietary.
> Does that mean we will have to release the code for kernel as well ?

If you copy the stub from the GDB source tree, then yes you would
have a GPL problem.  I recommend writing one from scratch, instead,
based on the documentation - that's what most people seem to do.
The examples in GDB are quite old.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery