multithreaded core files

One of my coworkers is looking at a core file from a multithreaded
program.  (x86 Linux.)  In this situation, GDB only prints a backtrace
from the thread that actually seg faulted; he'd like to see what other
threads were doing at the time.

I assume there's no easy way to fix that, but he had the idea of
looking through the memory to find out where the other threads' stacks
are.  Not completely impossible - we know some of the functions to
expect in the other threads' backtraces, so we can come up with some
addresses to look for.

If we can find those other stacks, is there any way that we can try to
convince GDB to print out backtraces for them?  And even give us local
variable information?

Thanks,
David Carlton
david.carlton@sun.com