Debugging remotely via ssh login

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help with with this one.

In our environment, we test by copying our executables to a destination
machine on our test network using scp, copy the set of source code files
that we are debugging to the same destination, and then log on to the remote
node using ssh to perform the debugging session.

I was reading in the manual about remote debugging, but the scenarios
described included debugging via a serial comm line or via a tcp port on the
remote machine. Is it possible to debug where the only access is remote
logon using ssh?

Many thanks,
Paul