Re: gdb in emacs : dereference pointer

 > > It does sound a bit ridiculous because this is mailing for GDB not
 > > Emacs
 >
 > There is a strong tie in : and its more gdb related than emacs
 > related. I would have expected a lot of gdb users to run it from within
 > emacs. Sorry if you consider it OT.

Its just that your question is about functionality in CVS Emacs.  There may be
many people on this list who don't even use Emacs.

 > >  > Yes, I can "display" so it is shown after every step but that is
 > >  > horrible - I want it in a fixed place in the locals pane. What obvious
 > >  > thing am I missing here?
 > >
 > > You can't currently do this as it's not straightforward to implement.  You
 > > can dereference them as watch expressions in the speedbar (maybe thats
 > > what you mean by "display").
 >
 > I try not to use the speedbar : I find it buggy and unresponsive.

You need at least GDB 6.0 for it to work, but it works much better with 6.4 or
later.  If you still have problems then please report them to
emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  Thats the only way we can improve it.