This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
MI varobj properties
- From: Vladimir Prus <vladimir at codesourcery dot com>
- To: gdb at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:42:13 +0300
- Subject: MI varobj properties
It looks like MI has grown way to many ways to report properties of a variable
- When a variable object is created, the gdb response reports some
properties (like expression and the number of children).
- There's -var-info-expression that returns the expression (basically
the same as above) and also language.
- There's -var-show-attributes that returns "editable" attribute.
- Apple branch has -var-info-path-expression that returns full expression
This is somewhat complicated, and there are no clear rationale how do get any
new bit of information.
Except for getting the value of a variable objects, all those properties are
computed by gdb, and there are no complex algorithms. How about the following
- The commands that create new variable object always return full
list of properties.
- There's a new command that also returns the full list of properties
- For backward compatibility, existing commands just forward
to the new command.