Re: gdb 6.5 on AIX 5.3 not hitting breakpoints

I have never seen this behavior with gdb with any other unices, but this is the first time we have run it on AIX.

I built the daily snapshot gdb 6.5.50.20061115. I tried with a simple program and it worked:

--------------------------
(gdb) br main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x100003f4: file errno.c, line 11.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/cgi/errno_aix

Breakpoint 1, main (argc=1, argv=0x2ff20084) at errno.c:11
11              sscanf (argv[1], "%d", &err);
(gdb)
--------------------------

Then I tried with one of our more complicated programs and I see the behavior with it ignoring the breakpoints:

--------------------------
(gdb) br main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x10000a90: file cgr_heartbeat_utl.c, line 223.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /u01/obj/dcs/misc/bin/cgr_heartbeat_utl
Breakpoint 1 at 0x100000a90: file cgr_heartbeat_utl.c, line 223.
HEARTBEAT>
--------------------------

I am wondering if it isn't some weird linker options that are screwing it up or maybe we are missing some linker options. Any ideas?

Joel Brobecker wrote:
I have built gdb-6.5 on AIX 5.3 and have noticed that it is not hitting breakpoints. Is this a known problem and if so is there any workaround?

As far as I can tell, appart from an unexpected warnings about the OS
ABI which I will try to investigate when I have some time, the HEAD
debugger from CVS seems to be working fine:

(gdb) b break_me Breakpoint 1 at 0x100003e4: file foo.c, line 6.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/brobecke/test/ex/foo Breakpoint 1, break_me () at foo.c:6
6 printf ("Hello world\n");

I suggest trying the debugger from CVS, and if that doesn't work,
then maybe trying to post more information about what compiler you
used (I assumed GCC), which version, and provide a complete example
that demonstrates the problem (sources and compilation switches that
you used to build the example).

-- Jesse L. Marlin Phone: +1 404-705-2912 Senior Software Developer Intec Billing, Inc Web: http://www.intecbilling.com/ Email: jesse.marlin@intecbilling.com Suite 200, 301 Perimeter Center, Atlanta, GA 30346 USA

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be legally privileged and/or copyright material of Intec Telecom Systems PLC (or its affiliated companies). If you are not an intended or authorised recipient of this e-mail or have received it in error, please delete it immediately and notify the sender by e-mail. In such a case, reading, reproducing, printing or further dissemination of this e-mail or its contents is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Intec Telecom Systems PLC does not represent or warrant that an attachment hereto is free from computer viruses or other defects. The opinions expressed in this e-mail and any attachments may be those of the author and are not necessarily those of Intec Telecom Systems PLC.