Re: How to portably print out Env of a Process

> Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:39:10 -0400
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
>
> On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 09:14:19PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Make sure you install libc with full debug info.  It looks like you're
> > using Linux.  Debian has packages with the necessary debug info.
> > Other distros might not.  If your distro does not provide such
> > packages please complain.
>
> Actually, we (Debian) don't by default.

Well, you *do* give the user the opportunity to install those packages
and use them.  Many other distros don't seem to do this.

  The example was:

>   p (char *) getenv("HOME")
>
> We ship two sets of debug libraries, both in the libc6-dbg package.
> One set are used automatically by GDB (via set debug-file-directory);
> these have only .debug_frame in them, and are used only for backtraces.
> The other includes symbolic debug info and is not used unless you
> specify LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug.  They aren't the default
> because GDB takes a large amount of RAM and is much slower when given
> that much debug information, for an otherwise small program.

Hmm, yes, I'm noticing that on our (OpenBSD) slower platforms the
testsuite sometimes times out loading a program.

> I wonder if guessing "long" for return values might be more overall
> useful than guessing "int", for this exact reason?  Is that likely to
> break anything not already broken?

I don't think that'd be a terribly good idea; the usage of "int" as
the default return value for unprototyped functions is pretty much
engrined in the C language.

Mark