Re: Remote protocol and 7-bit links

As a remote protocol user I say:

Bring on 8 bit only.  I haven't seen or used a UART that cant be set
into 8 bits per byte since I started using them (late 80's).  Its 2006,
cant we deprecate the requirement for everything to be 7 bit clean, and
just assume 8 bits is the way?  Architectures get obsoleted faster than
the requirement for everything to be 7 bit clean.  Hex encoding stuff
just adds work and makes life harder for the stub.

As a minimum, I would say these new features be 8 bit only, and then 7
bit hobbled targets (if any actually exist) cant use them.

Steven J