strange problems using gdb for arm target

Hello all,
   I'm posting once again as I havn't got any reply,
but this time will give some more details about same
two problems I have -

1) for each new gdb session, start - connect -
dissconnect - close Hyperteminal, then only gdb
connects to target, why this is so?

2)My host machine (running gdb) suddenly restarts...?
I am using prolific USB to Serial Bridge cable for
communication. USB end of that cable connects to host
and Serial end to target. Will this cable cause host
to restart...?

I am srongly facing these two problems at every gdb
session which are slowing down my main activity of
writing a stub.

So this time I'm greatly hoping for at least a single
reply from the list. Anyone, though don't have
solution for this, could at least suggest me what may
be the cause of any of the problems....
Is there Nobody...? I realy hope for somebody.

Thanks and Regards,
medake

Note: forwarded message attached.

http://mail.yahoo.com
--- Begin Message ---
Hi all,
   I am writing a gdb stub for a program running on
target ARM board. The stub is running on remote target
along with a program and a gdb-6.1(arm-elf-gdb)
running in Cygwin Shell environment on windows host
machine.
  I have couple of questions right now.

1) I have a full fledge working stub. Once gdb
connects to target(stub)everything works very fine.
But everytime I try to connect, I get a following
error

(gdb) tar re com1
get_tty_state failed: Not a typewriter
set_tty_state failed: Not a typewriter
Remote debugging using com1
Sending packet: $Hc-1#09...get_tty_state failed: Not a
typewriter
set_tty_state failed: Not a typewriter

But I'm able to connect to my target by doing some
strange practice.i.e. I open a hyperterminal, just
connect to com1 and disconnect. When I finish this,
Now gdb can easily connect to target and run smoothly.
And no problem till I quit gdb. But for new gdb
session, same silly practice...

Now has anyone came across such problem? I'm not
getting whether this problem is due to gdb or a stub
or a Cygwin Shell...? If anybody can tell the exact
cause of problem and a solution, it will be
very helpful to me.

2) When gdb session is smoothly working, sometimes as
I issue a gdb command like break or step or finish, my
Host windows machine (running gdb) restarts.
I don't know, but if anything wrong is happening then
it must be at target side and it has nothing to do
with the host. Still host machine restarts.
Here also I'm not able to resolve who (gdb or stub or
Cygwin shell) causing the problem and why?

Any help in both regards will be appericiated.

Thanks and regards
medake