Re: asynchronous MI output commands

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

If I were writing a front-end, I would have an arbitration layer which
sent questions to GDB and received answers.  The answers will come back
one at a time, in the same order the questions were asked.  If you send
two -var-evaluate-expression commands, you'll get back two answers, in
that same order.

Am I missing something? Is there a reason that this isn't enough?

No, the abstraction layer is exactly my design - but as I explained: the goal of my tool is that it's used over a remote line (eg. SSH over internet) where the answer can be a couple of 100ms delayed. It is most desirable to be able to send multiple commands and have the front-end digest the answer as they slowly arrive - updating the UI in increments.
Yes, my views need to send multiple -var-evaluate-expression and this is the reason that I'm forced to restrict the design to what you describe. The reason it's not good enough: it so slow.

Because of the latency, my "abstraction layer" runs in its own thread. This makes the UI wonderfully responsive, but doesn?t allow a component/view to submit a command and read the answer in the same context. Answers arrive out of context and are processed separately - creating a high need to know what the answer originated from.

bjarke
BVRDE - bvrde.sourceforge.net