Re: printing wchar_t*

> Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:43:01 -0400
> From: Paul Koning <pkoning@equallogic.com>
> Cc: ghost@cs.msu.su, gdb@sources.redhat.com
>
> If you have 16 bit wide chars, it seems possible that those might
> contain UTF-16 encoding of full (beyond BMP) Unicode characters.

You could use wchar_t arrays for that, but then not every array
element will be a full character, and you will not be able to access
individual characters by their positional index.

In other words, in this case each element of the wchar_t array is no
longer a ``wide character'', but one of the few shorts that encode a
character.

If we want to support wchar_t arrays that store UTF-16, we will need
to add a feature to GDB to convert UTF-16 to the full UCS-4
codepoints, and output those.  Alternatively, the FE will have to
support display of UTF-16 encoded characters.