Re: MI return error changed from 6.3 to 6.4?

> From: Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz>
> Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 09:53:12 +1200
> Cc: Dirk Behme <dirk.behme@googlemail.com>, gdb@sourceware.org
>
> However the manual says:
>
> Manual>    To help users familiar with GDB's existing CLI interface, GDB/MI
> Manual> accepts existing CLI commands.  As specified by the syntax, such
> Manual> commands can be directly entered into the GDB/MI interface and GDB will
> Manual> respond.
>
> Manual>    This mechanism is provided as an aid to developers of GDB/MI clients
> Manual> and not as a reliable interface into the CLI.  Since the command is
> Manual> being interpreteted in an environment that assumes GDB/MI behaviour,
> Manual> the exact output of such commands is likely to end up being an
> Manual> un-supported hybrid of GDB/MI and CLI output.
>
> so maybe we shouldn't fix it.

Alternatively, we could leave what manual says as it is now, and fix
the code.  Note that it says that _existing_ CLI commands are
accepted.  So perhaps we should detect non-existing commands and
return an MI error indication.

> On the other hand this was written before the command -interpreter-exec.  If
> entering CLI commands directly (using -interpreter-exec implicitly) can be
> made as reliable as using -interpreter-exec explicitly, maybe this would be a
> convenient alternative, and the above paragraph could be removed from the
> manual.

Such an incompatible change would require a quarantine period during
which the CLI support in MI is marked deprecated.