Re: text file formats

> Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 15:31:55 -0400
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
>
> Native formats are the only sort we can support reliably.
>
> We get line numbers from the debug information, which was produced by a
> compiler - any compiler.  If the file is in native format, the compiler
> can be presumed to have gotten the line numbers right.  If it isn't,
> then they could be totally out of whack.

At least with GCC and with Unix and DOS style of EOLs, there's no
basis to assume that line numbers will be ``totally out of wack''.
The Mac case obviously is harder, but it sounds like that style is
dying anyway.

> And the compiler could have been run on a different platform.

GCC supports both Unix and DOS EOLs on Windows as well.  So, at least
for these two styles and platforms, it's possible to support line
numbers reliably.

> Supporting all of the possible combinations is simply impossible.

All of them might be impossible, but some of them could be quite
possible.

Anyway, unless we have a volunteer to add this kind of support to GDB,
this dispute is purely academic.