Building gdb from source

I like to build packages from source.  When I build gdb-6.4:

./configure  --prefix=/usr
make
make install

gdb's Makefile places the following files in /usr/lib:

libbfd.a  libbfd.la  libiberty.a  libopcodes.a  libopcodes.la

The problem is that these files already exist from binutils-2.16.1.

Is there any reason to prefer the libraries from binutils over gdb or
vice versa?  I believe this could be a problem as the binutils libraries
include dynamic libraries that could be out of sync with the gdb static
libraries and that the gdb .la files do not recognize the dynamic
libraries at all.

  -- Bruce Dubbs