This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: Time for a new release?
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: gdb at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:04:57 -0700
- Subject: Re: Time for a new release?
- References: <20060315043747.GA695@adacore.com> <20060315170117.GA3806@trixie.casa.cgf.cx> <20060317194104.GD19068@nevyn.them.org>
[moving the discussion to gdb (from gdb-patches) as recommended]
> > > Branch: Apr 3rd
> > > Pre-release: Apr 5th
> > > Release: Apr 19th
> Sounds reasonable to me. I know I have a lot of things coming up
> that I don't want to sneak "under the wire" into a release - I'll
> want to give them a lot of time to settle down.
I have set some time aside to work on this today. Is Apr 3rd still
OK for cutting the branch?
> > >Basically, a first pre-release a couple of days after branching.
> > >And then the first release if all goes well two weeks after, to
> > >give us some time to flush any issue we might find.
> This is a pretty aggressive schedule; if we want the release to receive
> broad testing, I recommend waiting a bit longer.
Would one month be a good duration? I think this is what we did the
> > >Also, do we want to distribute GDB with -Werror enabled? It's fair
> > >to have us build GDB with -Werror, but I would feel more comfortable
> > >distributing something that's easier to compiler for the end user.
> > >I think this will avoid some traffic from users who don't know what
> > >to do with the fatal warnings.
> I agree. Maybe some day it will be appropriate to ship GDB with
> -Werror, but I'd rather not do it immediately.
OK. Will post a patch to disable -Werror by default.