Re: MI: changing breakpoint location

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 01:34:57PM +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Let me try again. Maintaining and testing this in gdb is extra work.
> Maintaining and testing this in frontends is extra work as well, and GUIs
> are less suitable for automatic testing.
>
> Do you prefer to have this maintained and tested in frontends because that
> means less work for you, or because it's more technically reasonable, in
> your optinion?

I thought it was more technically reasonable.  I wouldn't have said it
just because it was less work!

However, I think I've been persuaded otherwise at this point.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 12:57:19PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:15:56 -0500
> > From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
> >
> > > How much trouble is it to change breakpoint location in gdb?
> >
> > A whole lot more than that.  We'd have to destroy most of the existing
> > breakpoint.
>
> Can you explain why?  Isn't it enough just to modify the code address
> stored within the breakpoint structure?

Not really.  That might work today, but not for much longer.  Remember
the discussions we keep having about "user breakpoints" mapping to more
than one code location?  Well, now we'll have to remove all the
associated machine-level breakpoints and insert a new set.

But, that's not as complicated as I first thought.  If this would be
useful for front-ends, we might as well.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery