Re: Copyright notices

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 01:07:46PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Since it took me by surprise, I thought that maybe other maintainers
> aren't aware of this text from maintain.texi, which says how to update
> copyright years in the files' copyright notices:

If you think this was surprising, you should see the first version that
was posted to gnu-prog; it read as if doing so was required rather than
optional.  I understand the FSF's reasoning here (even if it seems
somewhat strange to me).

> Perhaps we should have a script to do the same once a year, and stop
> worrying about updating the individual notices when we modify each
> file.

I think this is not a bad idea.  The current set of notices are fairly
accurate - I won't say 100%, but maybe 95% - so I think that being
able to add a year by script would meet our needs.

Emacs already has some widgetry to add copyright years, doesn't it?
Can that easily work on a list of files?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery