Re: Howto single step from beginning

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 06:29:05PM +1300, Paul Blacquiere wrote:

> >Remind me again what version of GDB you're using?  And it is configured
> >for arm-linux, right?  Or maybe you're debugging a uClibc static binary
> >that doesn't have the correct ABI markings?
>
> GDB Ver 6.3 build under buildroot using uCLibc

That's why.  Some versions of uClibc do not include a Linux ABI marker;
see what "objdump -s -j .note.ABI-tag" on the static binary you are
debugging shows.  I think this has been fixed.

> >That's an arm-elf breakpoint.  It doesn't work on arm-linux systems.
> >
> >Does "show osabi" reveal anything?
> >
> ----
> (gdb) show osabi
> The current OS ABI is "auto" (currently "ARM APCS").
> The default OS ABI is "GNU/Linux".
> (gdb)
> ----

Also GDB 6.3 would erroneously override the default ABI, as you see
here.  Try 6.4 instead.

> I am assuming that the ABI markings are involved in the definition of
> the break
> point instruction, as I can not find a corresponding match to the gdb trace
> instruction in the gdb source.

Look for ARM_BE_BREAKPOINT in arm-tdep.c.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery