Re: GDB stub questions

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 12:16:07PM -0800, Mitchell Fang wrote:
> I have a question about the GDB stub. Where does the stub run? Is it
> on the host machine, the target board, or the JTAG controller.

This depends on your needs.  A stub can typically communicate over TCP
or serial from the stub; over TCP from a stand-alone JTAG unit; or over
TCP on the localhost interface of the host (often talking to a
simulator or a parallel/USB JTAG unit).

If you are using JTAG, it will have to be the second or third of
my listed options; in your case, it sounds like you want the third,
a local daemon.

> Is it possible to edit GDB so that it automatically uses the JTAG
> controller's .dll's directly?

Please do not attempt to do this.  We used to add remote targets
directly to GDB; now we are trying to componentize them across the
barrier of the standard remote debug protocol.  For one thing,
you end up with tricky-to-maintain code directly in GDB; for another,
the DLLs are often legally encumbered in ways that make linking
them to GDB inadvisable.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery