Re: $argc variable

Btw, Andrew, why do you post patches to gdb@sources.redhat.com, rather
than to gdb-patches@ ?  The latter is the right place.

> In the documentation I changed a '@var' to '@code' because @var makes it
> upper case in the info and I thought that misleading.

Upper case is not the problem: makeinfo produces an uppercase word
from @var since time immemoriam, so anyone who's used to read Info
manuals is already used to that.

The problem here is that it's simply wrong to use @var in this case,
because $arg0 etc. are literal strings, to be used verbatim in the
actual script, not placeholders that stand for something else.  So
your change is correct, although for the wrong reasons. ;-)

> -via @var{$arg0@dots{}$arg9}.  A trivial example:

However, there _is_ something wrong here: the $ part should be outside
@var, since it's a literal character:

  via @code{$@var{arg0}@dots{}$@var{arg9}}.

> +via @code{$arg0@dots{}$arg9}.  A trivial example:
>
>  @smallexample
>  define adder
>    print $arg0 + $arg1 + $arg2
> +end
>  @end smallexample

In the example, I would suggest to use something other than arg0 etc.,
to avoid confusion with arg0..arg9 as placeholders in the paragraph
where you wanted to remove @var.

> +@kindex $argc

I'd replace this with "@cindex arguments for user-defined function".

Other than that, the documentation patch is okay with me.  Thanks.