Re: selecting a processor variant with gdbarch.

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 07:08:53PM +1100, Chris Johns wrote:

Hello,

What is the preferred way to have gdbarch select a specific processor variant ?

Can you be more specific about what you want?

On the Coldfire we have a growing number of processors with a few different cores each running the same code, yet with register sets that vary in different ways.

When using BDM with a Coldfire you need to get at some of the processor specific registers to access memory controllers to enable RAM to download a program.

We can teach a BDM target ops how to detect various processors and make the selection. Getting gdbarch to handle the change is what I would like to understand.

How can a target op inform the gdbarch what the specific processor is ?

Not yet, but I'm working on implementing that.

I have played around with changing the register names and types but regcache proved a hurdle. It sets up the cache once during initialisation. If I could make a a call to get regcache to re-initialise this hurdle could be overcome.

Chris