Re: Moving GDB sources to subversion?

Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> writes:

> > > I think GCC is getting ready to move to subversion as the revision
> > > control system. Is there any similar plan for GDB?
> >
> > Why should we?
>
> I wasn't implying that we should. I haven't seen any discussion about
> this (but maybe I missed them). However, I have heard rumors that GCC
> *is* going to move to svn. I think GCC and GDB have been in the same
> physical repository so far (src?), so I was afraid that a change for
> GCC would necessarily impact GDB.

gcc has moved to subversion.  The conversion finished today.

This does not affect gdb.  At present gdb, binutils, newlib, and
cygwin share a single CVS repository.  gcc is in a subversion
repository.

This does affect anybody using the uberbaum pseudo-repository; if you
don't know what that is, don't ask.

It would be simpler for the sourceware.org overseers (including
myself) if every project converted to subversion.  And subversion does
have some advantages over CVS.

But really each project is going to have to decide for itself whether
to switch or not.

(If you want to switch to something other than CVS or subversion, you
will have to be prepared to convince the overseers to do whatever
management is required by whatever new system is chosen.  Daniel
Berlin went through that process for subversion for gcc.)

Hope this helps.

Ian