Re: Moving GDB sources to subversion?

Hi,

Joel Brobecker schrieb:

> I think GCC is getting ready to move to subversion as the revision
> control system. Is there any similar plan for GDB?

At present, there appears to be a SCM war going on, with everyone trying
to pull as many projects towards their side as possible. As a cogito
fan, I'm no exception to that :-). I personally don't like svn for the
simple reason that it provides no substantial improvement over CVS. It
is still centrally organized and works best if only a core group who
knows the system by heart commits patches, in case they need to be
merged; at the same time, it has a very informal notion of branches and
tags, which is a great disadvantage in my opinion.

I've learned to live with CVS by using a cronjob that incrementally
imports new commits into my working tree, which happens to be git-based;
a similar thing could be done to create a SVN repository that tracked
CVS and allowed people to use svn if happens to be their preferred tool.
Using svn for the master tree would make this difficult because of the
aforementioned informality on branches and tags; an import script would
be forced to use heuristics to properly determine them.

   Simon