Re: Remote debugging and dynamic libraries

Sorry for the duplicate, fat-fingered the list address last time.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 10:52:00AM +0200, frank@betaversion.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i'm trying to remote debug a program running on an arm system running
> linux but i ran into various problems. If i interrupt the
> debugged program i can't get symbolic information where it stopped.
> Also backtraces don't seem to work.
>
> frank@linux:~/> /usr/local/bin/arm-linux-gdb
> GNU gdb 6.3
> This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=arm-linux".
> (gdb) target remote 192.168.1.133:5555
> Remote debugging using 192.168.1.133:5555
> 0x400028b0 in ?? ()
> (gdb) symbol-file test

Don't do this.  Use "file", not "symbol-file".

Can you tell me where you found anything which suggested that you
should use symbol-file?  This bug is reported several times a year, and
I still don't know where the incorrect documentation is - I don't think
it's part of GDB.

Without an "exec file" loaded, which symbol-file does not do, GDB won't
find the dynamic loader or be able to load shared libraries.

> 1)
>    set solib-absolute-prefix /usr/local/arm/arm-linux/

This is the correct way - IFF the directory under that path looks like
a root filesystem.  If it's laid out like an old-style cross toolchain,
this may not work.  Paths should match the paths on the target.

> nor:
> 2)
> set solib-absolute-prefix /dev/null
> set solib-search-path /usr/local/arm/arm-linux/lib

This is not the correct way nowadays.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC