Re: Separating "shell dir" output from GDB/MI output

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 04:02:48PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> > > While I think this is a good idea, what other specific problems would
> > > it solve that we haven't solved already?
> >
> > It solves several problems. The user no longer has to create a pty to
> > give to GDB to separate the inferior output and the console output.
> > (CGDB will have to anyways, since it uses the terminal).
>
> This one we've already solved, albeit with a bit of extra work on the
> part of the frontend (and we were all enthusiastic about the solution,
> too...)

Sorry, I honestly can't remember what your talking about. What was the
solution for this that the front end had to do? Also, don't forget, on
windows nativly, the front end *can't* open a PTY. Eli came up with this
solution for that problem,
   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2005-08/msg00047.html

> > Some of the
> > target's apparently write to STDOUT/STDERR, and that get's confused with
> > the MI output.
>
> I don't know what you're referring to here.

Oops, sorry. This is in the manual, and apparently is not true,
   target-stream-output is the output produced by the target program.
   All the target output is prefixed by `@'.
We've had complaints by users that target output is not prefixed with
'@'. So, I believe the output from the target can be intermingled with
the MI output.

> > Also, thing's like 'shell' and potentially other case's
> > get mixed in with the MI output.
>
> Shell's the only one I can think of offhand.

Yeah, me too. Darn shell command always break's front ends :(

> > Finally, if we have several
> > interpreters going at the same time, we could have them all output to
> > there own descriptor.
>
> This is an interesting idea, but I don't think it's an obviously right
> choice.  The CLI frontend wants its own terminal, really.  The MI
> interpreter only needs a pipe.  I have use for multiple MI interpreters
> running at the same time, which will all need their own pipes, but
> that's not a big deal with the infrastructure we already have.

This is interesting. How would you start up GDB in such a scenario? Say
you wanted 2 MI interpreters running. What would you do?

> I think wrapping shell's output in MI quoting would be a simpler
> solution rather than changing the nature of MI/frontend interaction
> again.

Yeah, you sound correct on this point.

Bob Rossi