Re: Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native? :-(

On 28 Sep 2005, at 11:37, Andrew STUBBS wrote:

The top level configure script may do, but as Daniel says the GDB sources do not.

I see now. I'm new to configure scripts. :-)

Look at www.mingw.org for GDB MinGW patches (GDB 6.3-1 last time I looked). These will get it to compile for MinGW, but, even if they can be made to cross compile, Daniel's point about remote debugging still stands. I can see why you wouldn't want to use Windows as a build platform, but I suggest that, unless you have a good reason not to, you debug the programs natively using the native MinGW GDB. You can probably download a binary from their website along with the rest of MinGW/MSYS.

Some of our apps run full screen and having a remote machine to debug on helps quite a bit.

I guess dual-screen capable PCs will help here, but our current hardware (supplied by our customer) doesn't support that.

Alternatively, the GDB in Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) is capable of debugging MinGW programs. Cygwin also has support for compiling them with 'gcc -mno-cygwin'. Note that the standard Cygwin install does not include developer tools, but the installation tool is quite easy to use.

I think Cygwin may be the way to go - some makefiles we have running on OS X are using utilities like sed and grep, and we'd like to port them to Windows with the minimum of fuss.

Thanks very much for your advice.

--
Regards,
Steve.