Re: <incomplete type>

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 12:02 -0700, Jim Blandy wrote:
> 'readelf -wi' dumps Dwarf debugging info in a human-readable form.
> You can apply it to relocatable object files, executables, and shared
> libraries.  You probably want to apply it to the executable or shared
> library, since that's fewer steps removed from GDB, but the output
> will be large.  You'll need to search for a DW_TAG_structure debugging
> information entry ("die") whose DW_AT_name attribute is the mangled
> form of Soi::Waypoint, and verify that the members are indeed listed
> there.  If you could post that die when you find it, that might be
> interesting.

I don't think I really understand what I'm looking at here.  In the .o
file I found this:
 <1><ee6b>: Abbrev Number: 113 (DW_TAG_structure_type)
     DW_AT_sibling     : <f3d6>
     DW_AT_name        : (indirect string, offset: 0xd7e3): Waypoint
     DW_AT_byte_size   : 120
     DW_AT_decl_file   : 62
     DW_AT_decl_line   : 33
     DW_AT_containing_type: <1668a>

and in the executable I found this:
 <2><3bb78>: Abbrev Number: 2 (DW_TAG_structure_type)
     DW_AT_sibling     : <3bc2e>
     DW_AT_name        : (indirect string, offset: 0x4ff824): Waypoint
     DW_AT_byte_size   : 24
     DW_AT_decl_file   : 123
     DW_AT_decl_line   : 90

Are these complete dies?  They obviously don't seem to contain any
members or have any references to anything else except for the sibling
which is just an unrelated DW_TAG_structure_type.  Scanning through the
information none of the dies appears to contain anything that look like
members, however the members appear in their own right as separate dies
in the executable but not in the .o file like this:

 <2><a6859d9>: Abbrev Number: 71 (DW_TAG_member)
     DW_AT_name        : (indirect string, offset: 0x7724ea): wpname_
     DW_AT_decl_file   : 158
     DW_AT_decl_line   : 58
     DW_AT_type        : <a667ae0>
     DW_AT_data_member_location: 2 byte block: 23 10
(DW_OP_plus_uconst: 16)
     DW_AT_accessibility: 3     (private)

Am I on the right track, how are the members described in the dies?

Thanks for the help,
Craig.