Using C-s to forward search command history

Hi group,

If I've read the info pages correctly, I can use C-s in order to search the command history forwards. However, this sequence also seems to be the control sequence to suspend the terminal :-(

Have I misunderstood, or is there a way round this? (It would be very useful for me to be able to search forwards).

Thanks in advance,

Greg